While we all have made the usual flour brownies earlier, these ones with wheat & barley flour are a zillion times tastier and definitely healthier..and pretty quick and easy!
Here’s the recipe:
- 220 gms unsalted butter
- 150 Gms of Borwn Sugar 250 gms of jaggery
- 65 gms of dutch processed cocoa powder (since this recipe uses baking powder which has a neutral PH , suggest you don’t use natural cocoa powder which is acidic and usually lends brownies a lighter brown shade..Dutch process cocoa has a smoother, more mellow flavour and usually lends a darker hue )
- 1 tsp each of baking powder, salt and espresso coffee powder
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract.
- 4 eggs
- 140 gms of whole wheat flour with 40 gms of barley flour.
- Preheat the oven to 200*C. Lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ pan; line the pan with parchment paper if desired.
- In a medium-sized microwave-safe bowl, or in a saucepan set over low heat, melt the butter, then add the sugar to completely dissolve it. Add jaggery and stir to combine.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl, and stir in the cocoa, salt, baking powder, espresso powder if using, and vanilla.
- Add the eggs one by one, stirring till smooth.
- Then add the flour , again stirring till smooth. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the brownies for 30 minutes, until a cake tester or sharp knife poked into the centre reveals wet crumbs, but not raw batter. The brownies should feel set on the edges and in the centre. Remove them from the oven, and cool completely on a rack.
- Cover and let sit overnight before cutting and serving; this gives the bran a chance to soften and become “invisible” in your mouth.
Do note that the addition of jaggery will lend a noticeable change in taste ..those who love jaggery will love these brownies even more and for children who don’t yet have a defined palette we can help them build a healthier one!